Comments: All the King of Beers' Men

I'll take it a bit further and say they don't make people (especially men) the way they used to.

I find many guys these days to be too hung up on small things and indecisive. These are chick traits I think.

If drinking a designer beer has them feeling more sophisticated and slightly more superior to the Bud drinking knuckle draggers, it's a sad statement about the insecurity of today's consumer and sort of confirms that we as a society have way too much time on our hands.

Posted by asdf at January 11, 2013 09:14 AM

I used to be a beer snob, and I still enjoy microbrews. But when I thought about why I was drinking beer in the first place, I found that for far less money, I could drink good cheap beer, and the effect was the same. Hence, while I'd prefer a nice charcoal porter, a PBR will also suit me just fine.

Posted by Rich at January 11, 2013 10:09 AM

Could not agree more Rich. I used to somewhat particular but have reverted to my old stand bys of Bud, PBR, in a bar likely a good Guinness, and I like a nice microbrew occassionally too.

In fact, Harpoon had a spectacular seasonal Winter 9-pack that was quite good and kept me in provisions for the Holidays and beyond.

I don't sweat any of it. Put a cold carbonated malted beverage in front of me (like in the movies when a guy walks in and orders 'a beer') and I'll drink it.

Posted by asdf at January 11, 2013 10:22 AM

So I my prefered beer is a Corona with a lime. What does that make me?

Posted by HomerJFong at January 11, 2013 10:43 AM

Makes you a person who knows what he likes. I think.

Posted by asdf at January 11, 2013 10:56 AM

I liked RAINIER Lager, regional favorite (about 1995 and before). It was another mainstream lager. Then I was introduced to beer from local breweries. I was hooked until I started homebrewing. I can make better beers than I can buy. Just like home wine making. They can make it better than you can buy it. It's better beer.

Posted by Chuck Hancock at January 12, 2013 12:23 PM

Flacco, 3rd and 2, bomb. Does not compute.

Watchin', drinkin' Bud.

Posted by asdf at January 12, 2013 05:30 PM

Budweiser is REAL American beer?!?!? PULEASE!! Budweiser is the drivel that comes out of a flawed 3-tier distribution system that favored a mass-produced beer over and against the pre-prohibition era local/regional breweries. Bud, Coors, Miller et al (or more correctly, Miller/Coors et al) are beneficiaries of a mythology that allow articles like your's to propagate the silly notion that they somehow are more "American" than the hundreds of local/craft breweries that have popped up all over the US over the last 20 years or so. Indeed, one could argue that the beer industry is returning to its roots, the manufacturing of a quality local/regional product that has a "fan base" appreciative of a certain variety and taste that you simply can't get in the swill coming out of Golden, St. Louis and Milwaukee. Nor will their lame attempts to pass themselves off as johnny come lately craft brewers do them any good. I don't foresee an uptick in their sales anytime soon,Black Crown or no Black Crown. And I won't be cryin' in my Founder's Red's Rye about either!!

Posted by Jeffrey A. Wilcox at January 14, 2013 10:55 PM

I just don't get this snobbery when it comes to mass produced American brews.

Why does anybody care what anybody else drinks? There is as much to be said for a fresh iced cold draught Budweiser as there is about a higher minded more thoughtfully constructed local or foreign brew and I'm not sure that it's wrong for Bud to come up with another marketing scheme in an attempt to re-capture a top slot in the brewing market.

Posted by asdf at January 16, 2013 10:40 AM

Dan, maybe in a future article you can sort all this out - am I a hipster for NOT liking cheap beer? Do I have to drink cheap beer to keep from being called a hipster? If hipsters suddenly decide it's cool to drink cheap beer, do I have to start drinking something else?

I thought I left this $hit behind in high school...

Posted by HomerJFong at January 16, 2013 12:33 PM